Thursday, January 29, 2009

Preparing for Our Egypt Night....

Hello Everyone!

Just a quick blog entry to update you on our Ancient Egyptian night we are having tonight.

The game hens are now in the oven and the house is being filled with the fragrant aroma of apricot, garlic and pistachio nuts. Let me share with you a recipe that I came up with. I purchased 4 small game hens from a local market. After rinsing them I stuffed each of them with cooked long grain rice with pistachio nuts in it. I placed two birds each into Reynolds oven cooking bags and drizzled each on top with olive oil, minced garlic, sea salt and pepper. Finally, I prepared an apricot glaze using dried apricots, sugar, cinnamon, ground cloves, paprika and water by cooking it on the stove. Once the mixture was a little thick and soft, I poured it over each of the hens and sealed the bag shut.

For a fresh salad I just sliced up some cucumbers, red onions and poured vinegar, water, sugar and lemon juice over them.
We plan on eating all of this with pita bread, or special prepared crackers for Dancer and an Apricot pastry dessert I picked up.

It should be quite a feast and a chance for the kids to show off all that they have learned about Ancient Egypt. I hope to share some pictures with all of you next time of our special night.

Blessings,
Amy

0 comments: