Sunday, January 18, 2009

Art Museums




Last Tuesday I took the kids to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA). We were there to see their Ancient Egypt Art and some of the artists we have been studying about. This museum is endless. It takes more than one day to go through it all. Given that it was a free day we set out with a plan in mind of what we wanted to see while we were there. I wasn't interested in the modern art. Modern art has an acquired taste. I don't think I have acquired it yet and I confess I may never will. I just have a hard time seeing a rack of backpacks on several hooks and calling that art. It is just not my thing.

Sadly, the website led me to believe that they would have a larger collection of Ancient Egyptian artifacts than what they had on display but we did enjoy what we saw. The kids enjoyed sketching what they saw and it gave us a chance to take a peak into other Ancient history rooms.


Our trip also was quite manageable with a kindergartner in tow too. He never had a chance to get bored or restless because we planned out what we wanted to see and if we saw a bit more that was great too.







Mary Cassatt is one of my favorite artists. My bedroom is decorated with her prints. I just love her pictures of Mothers with their children. Each one is so relaxing and inviting. We studied her art earlier this year.


Mondrian here on the right. I think he is considered modern art but his fun to teach kids line, spacing and shapes. His style is quite interesting.



Currently studying Picasso and the kids were quick to point out that he painted this during his Blue period.

Art is fun to explore with kids. Step out and enjoy it!

Blessings,

Amy

0 comments: