Sunday, August 24, 2008

Creation vs. Evolution Our First Unit


Since our oldest Sport is in 5th grade this year I though that this would be the perfect time to cover Creation vs. Evolution and the age old question where is the evidence that the dinosaurs are mentioned in the Bible. I not writing this to open up a debate for anyone but to share with other homeschooling parents out there that these are the ideas, text and other resources that have worked with this age range of children.


This is our first year using the Heart of Wisdom teaching approach so please bear with me. I ordered the Creation unit E-book and we have been using this as our spine for teaching. It is very informative and I have breaking it up into bite size chunks for my Dancer third grader to follow along with us as well.


This whole week our main focus was on the Creation story from the Bible itself. Reading from the Bible laying the foundation of the two groups of people who believe in Creation but the two differ in old earth vs. new earth. From the old earth there are three groups within that camp, the Gap theorists who hold the belief that their is a gap in time from Genesis 1:1 to Genesis 1:2, the Day Age group that hold the belief that each day of Creation mentioned in the Bible was spread out over millions of years, and finally Theistic Group they hold the belief that God used evolution as a form of controlling the earth.


Now I understand what you are thinking how in the world do you teach that to a fifth grader if you alone don't understand it. Luckily, my Sport loves to read. We have been reading and taking notes. When we are finished I am hoping to have the kids construct a Creation vs. Evolution lapbook.



Another lapbook idea I found for my kids to do was a Creation one in itself. Even Racer made a Creation lapbook of his own. I found the information from Lapbook Lessons. A great site for ideas and templates provided.


I had the older two work on a circle Creation lapbook that I found from a homeschooling blog called Barracudas Lapbook Corner. She even provided a short video how to cut out and fold the circles to make the book. My hat goes off to her.


I hope these ideas will be of some help to those of you who decide to a Creation vs. Evolution unit with your children. Please remember this is an important topic to not only discuss with your children but to press God's truths on their hearts. To teach both sides to them so when the opposition arises they may know the real truth!
Blessings,
Amy


1 comments:

Unknown said...

I know it is a typo, but Homeschooling is spelled wrong on your header. It's kind of important, so I thought I would let you know.

Take care!