Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Charlotte Mason: Artist Tea



Over the past few years I have made a real effort to implement more Charlotte Mason style learning in our home. Here is just one I would like to share with you....

Every Tuesday in our home I host an artist tea. It is very simple and the kids look forward to this every week.




It can be as simple as cookies and tea or a full tea with fancy tea sandwiches, fruit, cookies and tea. I just use what food I have on hand here at home. This time it was taquitos that I cut in half, diced mangoes, carrots and apple juice. It was too warm for tea.



Yesterday, the artist that we discussed was Cimabue (Chee-ma-boo'ay). Cimabue lived in Florence, Italy. He had lived between (1240?-1302). He is considered an artist that helped shape the world. Cimabue is credited with resurrecting the art of painting by using live models, something that was unheard of at the time. He is most noted for having Giotto as his pupil.

This week we studied Madonna Enthroned (1285?).


They shared about the colors and lines. We discussed how painters used halos and why they did.


This painting is over 12 feet high. This was quite a stretch at the time since most were just painted on small canvases. This painting here followed the Byzantine style at the time but he was able to give his paintings a life like feel something that traditional Byzantine styles did not.





Next week we will continue to study Cimabue. I hope you will try to implement an artist tea into your homeschooling day. It is a real treat to any given day.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

How delightful! This is a wonderful idea for making artist study even more special.

This post would be great for the Charlotte Mason blog carnival! You can submit it here.

Denise said...

That is a great idea. My kids love to drink out of tea cups AND look at art. It is one of those old Reece's Pieces commercial moments. Two great tastes that go great together. :)

Dawn said...

We already have tea time every day! I love the idea of having an artist tea. Thank you so much for sharing this idea.
Blessings,
Dawn

Darla said...

What a great idea. I think it might be the motivator I need to get going on artist study again.

Thank you

Dana said...

Oh, what a wonderful idea. I LOVE it! Thanks for contributing it to the carnival.

sarah in the woods said...

I love this idea! This may be just the thing I was looking for to get back into artist study.

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

What a fun idea! We sometimes use teatime to read poetry, but we may have to do this sometimes, too.

Thanks for sharing!