Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentines Day!!!


Happy Valentine's Day to everyone reading out there in cyberspace. I have a few great ideas for Valentine's Day to share with all of you. If is too late to do any of these things this year perhaps you can save them for next year.



I found a great idea on No Place Like Home blog to make for my kids this year. She always has such inspirational ideas there. It was for a card. Not just an ordinary card but are card with secret pockets to write special notes on. She has the patterns available on her blog to make one. I made each of my children one and put special coupons inside for a bike ride with Mom and other things like that. They were a big hit with the kids.


Today was a relaxed day of homeschooling. We stepped away from our normal school studies and had fun baking, playing games and reading. After morning devotions with the kids we read a few chapters out of current read aloud about Abraham Lincoln we baked some yummy valentine cupcakes from scratch. My oldest son did all the mixing and measuring and my daughter since she is still fighting a cold I had her read the recipe. Again I found the Red Velvet recipe from No Place LIke Home blog. I didn't have any cream cheese to make the suggested frosting so we made a butter frosting using powdered sugar. These cupcakes were absolutely yummy. Here is a photo to share.


Next, I had the kids find a pair of dice for me. One of the dice I had them cover with animal stickers on each side. For instance, the number one was now covered with a zebra. We used the dice to write a round about story. For example, if you rolled a 6 and a zebra you had to give me 6 words to the story and one of the words had to be a noun. This was a lot of fun. My poor daughter wanted to keep it a valentine mushy story and the boys kept bringing baseball into it. I should have known I have baseball sport brained boys.


The other animals were a tiger( an adjective) a lion (verb), zebra (pronoun) and if they landed on a hippo they got to eat one candy heart and for the monkey they got to eat two candy hearts. It was yummy fun.



For lunch I made them heart shaped sandwiches, with heart shaped cucumbers and sliced apples.


After lunch we played Heart bingo. I found this some where online.I don't remeber where but I'm sure if you do a search you can locate it. We used the candy hearts again playing this game. If they won they got to eat their candy markers.




The kids can't wait for Daddy to come home. They each made him a present to open. It may be a bit late since our oldest has batting cage practice later this evening. Yes, on Valentines day even. Here is a quick peak of Daddy's gift. It's made out of wood. I found the wood piece at Michaels it was already shaped in a heart. The kids painted it and we addd their handprints and a short message.



May God bless you this Valentine Day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, it looks like you had a great day! Thanks for sharing, I will write down some of those ideas for next year. Julie

Mom of Many Hats said...

Thank you! I see that you have signed up also for the homeschool lounge. It looks like it should be fun. I am such a newbie to all this tech stuff. Amy