Sunday, February 17, 2008

Civil War reenactment



My family and I traveled back in time to meet and greet some important faces in our US history this weekend. History came alive for our kids. The memories and impressions will last a lifetime.

We just got back earlier this evening from a Civil War reenactment. It was a great way to celebrate Presidents Weekend holiday. Here are some pictures to share....



My youngest son enjoyed having his picture taken with his Union General. He really loved to play the part and was ready to report for duty.




My oldest son was more apprehensive since the his Confederate General looked so real. He really did look so much like Lee.


After listening to the two Generals speak we watched the first of two battles of the day. The guns were very authentic and the cannons were loud.



We also got to listen to President Lincoln reminice about his life, watch him inspect the Union troops before battle and pose for a picture with us. "I never met a president before..Too bad we can't count this one." "Or can we?"


Here are some battle pictures too...



At the end of the day we listened to the Gettysburg Address. Lincoln explained the significance and importance of the speech.


My family enjoyed the event tremendously and look forward to returning again some day again. What a great way to wrap up our Civil War unit.

3 comments:

Della said...

I just stumbled upon your blog while desperately searching for some way to build a sod house without having to dig up the front yard! I too am a blogging homeschool mom. I have a 4 year old, a 2 year-old and a 9 month old. I've just begun my journey. I thank-you for your post on the sod house and look forward to exploring your blog now that I have found it. Blessings, Della Davis

Anonymous said...

Is that you in that pic? You're just a cute little bitty thing! It looked like such a fun place and time had by all.

Mom of Many Hats said...

Yes, Kysha that's the whole gang there. I am really short and I look even shorter standing next to Abe Lincoln.

Blessings,
Amy