Saturday, November 10, 2007

More about our Mission Study

November 3, 2007

I'm actually posting this a week later. After the kids were sick two weeks ago I ended up getting a sinus infection. My head was so stuffy and it was quite painful. We still managed to do school even if it was from my bed. The kids enjoyed it and asked the following Monday if we were going to be doing that again. Here are some photos from our California study on missions and Halloween snapshots of the kids.


Here are the kids pumpkins that they carved. Baba had the most fun. He wanted to save all of his seeds to replant them for next year. Sadly, each year I keep forgetting to plant seeds in the summer. One year I did it with the kids our pumpkins were huge. Hopefully, this year I will make a better point to do this.







Here are the two boys in their costumes. Coco was too sick to join in the fun at church that night. I stayed home with her. We watched movies and ate candy. I was too cold that night for a young girl with a terrible cough. Baba's costume will come in handy when we study Lewis and Clark in a few weeks. I will have to save this costume for Baba's kids one day.







For our California Mission study I had the kids build a model in conjunction with a report. They chose San Juan Baptista Mission. I opted to get a package model from the craft store. I am so glad I decided to do this. Less stressful and with the kids being sick it was a quick project. Here are a few photos.







We added sand to the paint for the walls. It help give it more texture. Just the two older kids worked on this project.




Chip also wrote a report about the San Juan Bautista Mission. We added a board with pictures from our trip to the mission too. Coco wrote a report on Father Serra.

Next week we will be learning about the California Gold Rush. Here is a list of books:

- Mission San Juan Bautusta by Allison Draper

-Father Junipero Serra by Sarah Bowler

-How they Lived a Mission Padre by David Stienecker

-Nine for California by Sonia Levitin



0 comments: