Saturday, September 1, 2007

Our week of studying the EYE....

We have almost every eye color represented in our home. All we are missing is a brown. The eye itself is a fascinating and marvelous creation by our Heavenly Father. Did you know that there are 59 Bible verses on the eye alone. God had a lot to say about the eye and its' importance. Just like He did about the tongue and heart.


This is our second week learning about the five senses. Last week the kids had fun constructing the parts of the ear with household stuff. This week we labeled diagrams of the eye, played games, learned about Louis Braille, constructed an eye with food and yes we even dissected a cow eye. All of us were quite squeamish at first about the dissection endeavor but once we gotsee the inside we were simply amazed and awestruck.



We are so glad we did not chicken out on this one. My oldest son Chip asked why do we have to dissect a cows eye why not a human eye. I tried to explain to him that many Scientist use animals to learn about their study of medicine. To use a human for this we would have to have someone killed. I think he was just trying to reason his way out of the dissection. Nope, it didn't work....


Here is a picture of our eyes made out of food. I got the idea from my walk again that morning. I had heard about using an orange and an olive from something I read. The other items I came up with after praying to God to lead in this matter. He gave me some inspiration and the picture of it speaks for itself. To make this peel one orange. Take a green olive and insert it to one end of the orange. Use a toothpick to keep stable. At the other end insert a cut straw piece. The straw piece is the optic nerve of the eye. Then use a small piece of plastic wrap and place it over the olive side. This is the cornea. Lastly, take the thin type of licorice ropes (three per piece). Cut six of them and wrap from the plastic wrap side to the other end. The licorice ropes are the muscles in your eye. The human eye has six muscles. These muscles help us to move our eye in all directions even to roll them. We learned that cows only have four muscles. They are not able to roll their eyes.

Soccer schedule also began this week for Chip. He had his first practice on Thursday. Thursdays will be kind of crazy around here with co-op, soccer and ballet practice. Ballet practice doesn't end until 7:15 and I'm trying to figure out when Coco and I will be able to eat dinner. I don't want to have to eat fast food every Thursday night. I know we may have to in some cases when my hubby works late and wont be able to pick up the boys for me. Oh, we shall see...

This weekend is Labor Day weekend and the high temperatures are suppose to continue until Tuesday. Yesterday, on our outings it was 101 degrees at 2:00. This heat wave wreaks havoc on my head and my ability to sleep because it is so hot. I can't wait for cooler weather days!

The books we read for this week if you are interested in picking them up at your library are:
Helen Keller by Margaret Davidson
Me and My senses by Jan Sweeney
Look at your Eyes by Paul Showers
My Eyes by Kathy Furgarg
The Magic School Bus Explorers the Five Senses by Joanne Cole
The Blind Colt by Glen Rounds
We also read articles from the internet about Louis Braille, color blindness, myopia, and hyperropia and why are tears are salty.

0 comments: